Monday, May 9, 2016

Intro

It's official, I'm a beekeeper now. This has been almost 10 years in the making but I have finally been able to make it happen. This blog is going to serve as my hive inspection note book because I can include pictures and video.

I ordered my bees from K.night Honey because my teacher recommended them and they offered 3 pound packages (vs J.ones Bees which only offered 2.5 pounds). I ordered Italians because they are supposed to be gentle and we are keeping them in the burbs. We put the hives along the west fence (east facing) because they receive morning sun and afternoon dappled shade. The unfortunate part is there are neighbor kids on that side who sometimes kick balls over so we had to add lattice work for extra protection.

I chose cedar hives from B.ee T.hinking because of the looks (and some vauge unscientific notion that its better for the bees), eight frame mediums and foundation-less frames. I also decided to name the hives after New York mob families... you know because they're Italians.
The Genovese Hive
The Gambino Hive

No comments:

Post a Comment